Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Free novel writing software - yWriter Novel Builder

For someone who writes, anything that will help has got to be a good thing.
I can't recall where or how I found this little gem, but I like it. It's along the lines of software such as New Novelist, but it's free.
Features:

Organise your novel using a 'project'.

Add files to the project, each containing a chapter.

Add a summary to each file, showing the scenes in each chapter.

Print out summary cards, showing the structure of your novel.

Display the word count for every file in the project, along with a total.

Saves a log file every day, showing words per file and the total. (Tracks your progress)

Saves automatic backups at user-specified intervals.

Allows multiple scenes within chapters

Viewpoint character, goal, conflict and outcome fields for each scene.

Storyboard view, a visual layout of your work.

Re-order scenes within chapters.

Move scenes from one chapter to another.

Automatic chapter renumbering.

I am still learning to use it but it is good. I moved away from writing in a linear fashion (starting at page 1, chapter 1, and grinding away until I bleed a novel some months later). I've moved into a scene writing mode after speaking to people that went on some courses with NAWE
Anyway - it's free - so why not try it out? http://www.spacejock.com/yWriter.html
Leave a comment and let me know how you liked it.
yWriter

Tags: yWriter | Writing | version | software | scene | free | antivirus | Technology | NOVEL

2 comments:

Simon Haynes said...

Well, I like it. Ho ho.

By the way, NanoWrimo is what you need. Write half your novel between now and November and then knock off the rest IN November. Assuming you're after approx 100,000 words.

writer for hire said...

Blimey - the man himself - we ain't worthy!

I think I will have a go at NanoWrimo next year, but, I have to submit a novel for a Masters I'm doing so I think I might need a more measured approach.

Just so people know - this is the guy who wrote the yWriter software - very clever man - lets all go look at his blog. Yes, NOW.


View My Stats